Bipolar Screening Tests
If five or more of the following symptoms have been present for more than two weeks , please talk to your doctor about the possibility of depression being present. These symptoms could also indicate a medical condition other than depression.
- Feelings of sadness and/or irritability
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities normally enjoyed
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Changes in sleeping pattern
- Feelings of guilt, hopelessness, or worthlessness
- Inability to concentrate, remember things, or make decisions
- Constant fatigue or loss of energy
- Observable restlessness or decreased activity
- Recurrent thoughts of suicide or death
Look for at least three of the following symptoms, which could indicate the manic phase of bipolar disorder (manic-depression).
- Inflated ego, envisioning of grand schemes
- Increased energy and decreased need for sleep
- Inappropriate excitement or irritability
- Increased talking and/or moving
- Reckless behavior such as spending sprees, rash business decisions, erratic driving, or sexual promiscuity
- Disconnected and racing thoughts, easily distracted
- Impulsive behavior and poor judgment
- In the most severe cases, hallucinations
For a more detailed mania screening test, please look online for the Goldberg Mania test.